Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Jeno.

My brother John is a very talented poet. He has penned several very good poems. A few months ago I asked him to write me a poem about those in our family who have passed away. I have always asked myself if "I am making them proud?" John returned to me three days later with this...

Am I Making Them Proud?

To everyone a family,

And with it comes a name.

Each individual member

Brings honor or brings shame.

We honor those who came before

By whom we’ve been endowed

When we can answer with a yes,

Do I make them proud?

Am I putting for the effort

That would bring my fathers’ joy?

Am I who I said I’d grow to be

When I was still a boy?

Do I hide what I believe in?

Or do I live it loud?

And follow the trails that have been blazed

By the ones who’ve made me proud?

Now when I’m all alone

Or caught out in a crowd,

Am I doing all that I should I do

To make my loved ones proud?

Am I making them proud by passing on

The truths they’ve taught to me.

Am I teaching those next in line

To be all that they should be.

Am I making them proud

By doing the right?

Am I making them proud

With all of my might?

I hope that I am making them proud

I hope to do all I can

To help give the gift that God would give

Love to every man.




Happy Birthday Brother!

2 comments:

Suzy said...

John rocks! and so do you!

natalie said...

Wow, that is really touching. Our Stake Conference was last night on family bridges and carrying on what our loved ones have started. And now hearing this poem has really enlightened me on all of things I need to make sure I am doing with my life and my family. You have had a lot of trials with death in your life and I know that makes a person stronger. I think you will touch many lives with your experiences in this. Thanks for sharing that poem.