Monday, March 10, 2008

Guilty Pleasure.


Five years ago if you even mentioned NASCAR to me, I would have laughed at you and called you a hick or red neck or some other derogatory term.

The very thought of watching cars driving around in circles for 3 hours is ridiculous. At least that is what I thought. I had a good friend begin to explain the sport to me in great detail. As I began to understand the strategy and the underlying stories behind each race, I became intrigued. I decided that I would give it a whirl.

The first step to becoming a race fan, is picking your driver. This is a very interesting event. You pick your driver due to your favorite sponsor or something that the driver did that you liked. I was selling Dodge's at the time and my favorite number is 9.I picked a young rookie named Kasey Kahne, who drove the UAW Dodge Dealers #9 car (Now the Budweiser 9 car). I figured that I was a rookie and so was he so it was a good fit in my experiment. It is interesting to note that no matter how hard you try to cheer for another driver, it is near impossible once you pick your guy.

Kasey drove well and I was hooked. People cannot understand why I enjoy this sport. I know that it is really weird. Soon Brian was hooked. He also likes the 9 of Kasey Kahne. One of the funnest moments of my life was watching him witness a live race the first time. He could not stop laughing at the sheer noise that the cars produced. He called friend after friend holding up his cell phone to let them here all of those horses go flying by. This is normal behavior for a NASCAR virgin.

I thought that I would try and explain myself. Brian and two of our "NASCAR buddies" are headed to Phoenix next month to watch the Subway Fresh 500 under the lights on a Saturday night.

I am sorry if I have confused you. I feel that in some sort of way, I am coming out. It feels so good to have this off of my shoulders. With that said, I guess that there is only one more thing to say, BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY, LET'S GO RACING BOYS!!!

2 comments:

Emily said...

To answer your question, nope not much into nascar yet but I did watch some while I lived in phoenix. I still have not gone back to Walmart. But you will never believe what happened to me. My hubby and I have been looking at new houses and we pulled up to this house that we were going to go look at and you will never guess who the real estate agent was....Mario Quintero! AHHHH! I was like there is no was we are looking at this house, scary huh? I thought you might get a good laugh out of that.

Suzy said...

Maybe you want to borrow the redneck pickup truck hanging out in my driveway?