Saturday, July 26, 2008

Finish.



On November 21st 2007 I set some big goals for myself. July 25th 2008, I realized those goals.

Physical Goals 2008:

-Complete 2008 Salt Lake City Marathon
-PR Race For The Cure 5K
-Complete 2008 Wasatch Back Ragnar Relay
-Complete 2008 SpudMan Triathlon

As you may have read in previous posts I had already finished the SL Marathon, set a personal record in a 5K at the RFTC and completed the Wasatch Back. All I had left to do was the SpudMan Triathlon.

This is an Olympic tri which consists of a mile swim a 24 mile bike and a 10K (6.2 miles). The nice thing about this particular event is that the swim takes place in the Snake River and is current aided. That being said it is still no walk in the park.

Swim first! I felt great here and have not seen my time yet but know from others times that it was in the 21 minute range. The water was warm and watching the sunrise come up over the river was priceless. A man in the 6th wave, I was in the second, unfortunately passed away during the swim. I do not know the cause of death but feel for his family who was there to cheer him on.

Bike: I felt good here until about two miles in. I thought that I may have a low tire. It indeed was low and I nursed it along while I waited for the bike repair crew to come and help. They never came. Shortly after I lost my front tire and had to spend about 30-40 minutes repairing these two down tires. I would have embarrassed the bud boys of the 9 car. Not a good pit stop. Another triathlete stopped to help me. I kept telling him that I could meet him with his pump after the race and he said that his dad raised him better than to leave someone on the side of the road. WHAT A STUD!!! I ended up using his spare tube to fully repair the damage. Thank you #998! After all repairs were done I pushed the remaining way and finished the bike strong. On to the run.

The transition here was good and I was able to get out on the road and passing a good bunch of folks. How motivating! I never felt any pain or fatigue and hammed it up with the locals that were out to cheer. Idaho people are good people. I came into the finish and was able to put a few more people down. I ended up finishing in 3:28. I can only imagine what might have been if I had not had double flats.

I did this race with Dustin Tate, Chris Hampsure and his wife Amber and they all finished with great times. Dustin's wife Jamie was a great support and did whatever we asked of her. She was a life saver.

The last mile or two I began to think back to January 1st when I first started training. I have run, ridden and swam in all conditions. I have left my family for way too many training hours. It has truly been a great year. My plans for the rest of the year are to rehab, build muscle, lose fat and hang out with my amazingly supportive family. Then we'll see what happens on November 21st this year.

4 comments:

Brian "freaking" Robbins said...

polly serpy neekoo????

Good job on going nuts this year. I am glad you will be in prime physical condition to help pack out my buck in about 3 weeks..

ps. if you can do all of this, you should do stand up.

Good job big bro. I feel pretty gay now.

JT said...

You are such a STUD!!! What a year and honestly, after your tire blow outs, I am still so impressed that you finished. You should be so proud of yourself for all that you accomplished this year. Thanks for making this past weekend a blast and for remembering everything we forgot!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow that's awesome how many races you've done. Too bad about the flats but you still seemed to do awesome. Great Job!

Emily said...

those are awesome achievements...way to go! send me you and sarah's email and I will send you an invite to our blog....we went private for a bit because we had a creepy experience. we are at emilyredd1@mac.com
keep up the good work with your running!