Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What Took Us So Long?



Let me start by saying that I am not a huge Obama guy. I did not vote for him and quite frankly disagree with a lot of his policies. I have said since he was elected that I will support him as the leader of this great nation.What I have liked is the unity that I have witnessed in our country over the last few weeks. People are excited and have a new hope. There has been a buzz in the air.



"Today is a new day." "Pick yourself up today." "From now on, " were all quotes that I heard on Innaguration Day. Why today? Why not yesterday? Why did we have to wait until Bush left office to unite and work together? Did not John F. Kennedy instruct us "ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country"? While President Bush struggled why did we not unite then?

So many spoke down and criticized our President. Some even cheered as an Iraqi man threw a shoe at him. We sat back as arm chair Presidents and pointed out nothing but flaws. It was the government that let us down. It was their and his fault that so many horrible things happened. It was his problem. We had nothing to do with it.

Now Obama says that it is OUR task and we all are ready to go? Was it not always OUR task? Could we not have served and helped our neighbor? Could we not have, ourselves, been fiscally responsible? I don't care if the law and mortgage brokers tell me that I can afford a really big house. I know my personal budget and try to live within it. We all have to do our part and always have.

Another thing that I have issue with is that I heard more than 100 times, "I never saw the day that a black man would be President". I see this as a pessimistic statement. It discounts me as an American. I did think that it would happen. I also think that we will have a woman president.

What I am trying to say is that this is OUR country. No matter who the commander in chief is, it is up to us to make America great. Through good times and bad.

4 comments:

Geneve said...

Well said.

AP said...

Amen!

Boyds said...

i hear ya.... maybe you should run.

The Tate Family said...

Wow! So, so true! I loved everything you had to say!