Sunday, April 20, 2008

2008 Salt Lake City Marathon.

Starting line 7:00 a.m.


I have waited a long time to check this one off of my list. I think that I was 18 years old when I originally set the goal to run a marathon. I then went on my mission and got "chubby" and sort of gave up on myself.

Every year that I see the marathon take place, I get emotional and say to myself, "next year I am going to run this." Well this year really was the year. I set my 2008 goals in November of 2007. Among them was to complete the 2008 Salt Lake City Marathon.

I started "marathon training" on January 1st and followed the "Less is More" plan that was in an issue of Runners World Magazine. I ran in snow, rain, sleet and wind. My wife carried the family load on Saturdays so that I might get my distance runs in. It was literally a family affair and I cannot thank my wife enough for all of the support that she gave to me.


Going into Mile 7.

The race itself was a wild event. I started very strong and felt great. I even set a personal record through 6 miles. Then came the winds!!! The course took us South from I-80 to 6200 South the entire time running into a wind that was reported to be 45 mph. BRUTAL!!!!! I hit my wall 4 miles earlier than usual.

My support team for the day included my Wife and kids, Mother-in-law, Mother (in town from Alaska), Dad and his wife Farrah, Greg, John, Brian, Cathy & Rob and kids, John Peterson, Dustin Tate ( he went late to the U spring game, now that is devotion!), Ben Wilkinson (ran 2 marathons on crutches), La La Canada (ran next to me for a mile or two) and many more friends that sent text's and emails. My sisters even chipped in and got me an hour long massage. As you can tell, I did not do this alone.

Brian and Cathy rode their bikes around town and found me just when I needed GU or ibuprofen or water or mostly encouragement. Greg rode next to me from miles 23 to 25 telling me the whole time that I was there and that I had made it.


Sarah and the kids made me medals with special notes on the back. I have the best family!

And then came the finish. I was about 1/2 mile from the Gateway where the race ended when I started to think that I had no gas left for a celebration. I thought " oh well, at least you did it." I then turned the corner into the Gateway, the entire stretch was lined with cheering fans. Still no emotion on my part. I was at the middle intersection of the Gateway, when I looked up and saw the word written vertically FINISH.

Then the emotion came, I started to clap and let out a loud yell. I am not really sure what I even said. I looked to my right and saw my beautiful wife cheering so loud. I started to cry tears of pure joy and relief. The adrenaline kicked in and I sprinted to the line. The announcer said "Mark Robbins 1133 from Salt Lake City" (I know because I have watched the video 5 times.) I crossed the line and Brian stepped out and gave me a huge hug. I could not contain the emotion. It was an amazing feeling.

I was much slower than I wanted to be. I haven't even checked my official time. My goal was just to finish. We'll worry about my time next year. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome that you were able to complete a marathon. Good job. Oh and yes you do have an awesome wife. We miss you guys.

Ahenobarbus Textor said...

your description got me crying, damn you. You are awesome. I can't say more right now.

Tani Ireland said...

Mark,
Way to go! We wish we could have been there to see you finish! We think it's really awesome that you accomplished this! We love and miss you lots!
Ryan & Tani

Kyle and Shanalee said...

This post made me CRY! You wrote with such emotion!

How the heck are you? I miss seeing your face!

Where are you guys living? Are you still in SLC somewheres??

We're living in WVC, by USANA.